Saturday, February 16, 2008

Pantera - I Am The Night

Pantera's 1985 album I Am The Night. This album features Terrence "Glaze" Lee on vocals, Phil Anselmo didn't join the band until 1988's Power Metal album. Most fans of Pantera's later sound detest their earlier albums, but if you enjoy "Glam" metal (whatever the hell that even means) this is actually quite good. Goofy "evil-disco" album cover aside, the vocals and guitar work are pretty good at the very least.

I do wonder how many fans of "Cowboys" and beyond Pantera have actually heard any of their earlier albums. I'm sure at least a few of the negative comments come from people who haven't bothered to listen to the music and just think their 80's look was ridiculous. Which it was, of course, but every band looked like that back then, not really their fault.

Anyway, I think if you like stuff like Dokken or Ratt you should enjoy this album. Don't quote me on that though.

1 Hot and Heavy 4:08
2 I Am the Night 4:29
3 Onward We Rock 3:58
4 D*G*T*T*M 1:45
5 Daughters of the Queen 4:20
6 Down Below 2:41
7 Come-On Eyes 4:15
8 Right on the Edge 4:08
9 Valhalla 4:07
10 Forever Tonight 4:09

Prepare to Rock Onward!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most people don't combine Pantera with glam rock. Nonetheless their first four albums fall into this very genre. "Far Beyond Driven" got me hooked and I was a bit surprised to discover some of their previous works.

On another topic: Say, it's been a long time since there's been a MST3K posting. Any plans?

phelpster said...

Yep, another MST is coming soon. As long as I can do the DVD rip properly the next one should be Escape 2000.

Comeback Shane said...

Heya Phelpster!

I'm trying to put together a compilation of good metal band covers. Stuff like Megadeth's 'Paranoid;, WASP's 'Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting', Krokus' 'American Woman'...etc...etc.

Any good ones you know of just off the top of your head you could help me out with? I do consider you one of the leading experts of cool, ya know.;)

phelpster said...

Heya Shane!

I wouldn't call them metal but the Deftones do a surprisingly good cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man on Kerrang Magazine's High Voltage compilation. There is also a good cover of Holy Diver by Killswitch Engage on that same album. If you need either of those let me know, I can post the album here.

Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment, apart from Death's cover of Judas Priest's Painkiller, which is great if you haven't heard it. I'm actually trying to put together a new "Werewolf" compilation, so I'll be going through a lot of my stuff, I'll post some more when I think of some.

See, I've been telling people of my vast expertise on cool things for years now, good to see someone else out there finally sees my genius;)

Comeback Shane said...

Good leads, Phelpster!

I found some links for the High Voltage elsewhere on the web so you need not trouble yourself. I even found out about a new High Voltage release for 2007 so I can thank you for finding that one as well.

Pretty much for this particular project i'm trying to find 80's metal bands doing songs of the 70's even if they weren't recorded in the 80's. Like i'll probably include something off of Def Leppard's 'Yeah!' album and G N'R's 'Spaghetti Incident'.

Alright man, keep expanding my musical knowledge. And looking forward to the new Gym Shorts comp.!

phelpster said...

Shane - Not sure if you'll see this or not but I found a load of metal cover albums on this site here, looks like there are over 30 different albums.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails